My New Home for 3 Months

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 6 - Lugazi

As often happens in life, we get built up one day and ripped down the next. We went to Lugazi yesterday for the first time and found out a lot of information and made really good contacts. The town counsels members to acting mayor Deo have been incredibly helpful and I have fallen in love with each of them, they are so kind and willing to do whatever we need.

We started our day out at the the Mukono Town Academy, a school located nearby us. I took my first boda boda ride today and it was great. His boda wasn’t that nice however, the springs were bottoming out and it was a bit rickety, but oh well. We got to the school and found the room where our bunks and other equipment is being held. EVERYTHING was covered in spider webs and rodent droppings. There is going to be some serious washing going on when we finally get to it. Christopher Mugimu, the headmaster of the school, has been holding it for us for free. He told us that he would have a couple of his guys help us get everything cleaned up, so nice of him. It’s going to take a good half a day to get everything ready to move in. The first thing however will be getting a house. We are in the middle of negotiating a price for rent for a house in Lugazi. They are giving us crap and I hope it doesn’t last long, we really need the house. It’s a GREAT house, furnished, and very nice for Uganda. There is a lot of room and even a front room to just chill with a TV and a couch or two.

We spoke to 3 different groups of people today. Two women’s groups and a room full of politicians, it was pretty amazing to say the least. I even spoke some Lugandan, they got a kick out of it. I introduced myself and told them what I doing in Uganda, where I was from, and that I was glad to be there. I honestly feel like this is National Geographic and that I’m doing something HUGE, and I am!!! That’s what’s so great about it. How many people can say that they’ve been to Uganda, Africa, even Mukono or Lugazi for that matter and say that they worked amongst the people for 2 1/2 months. I have the experience of a lifetime and I HAVE to make the most of it.

Second, we went to the internet cafĂ© sending off some e-mails. Ashley and Jackie did personal e-mailing and then e-mailing to HELP and its volunteers. I got an e-mail from my mom today that she sent two days ago. It was great to hear from here. I haven’t had access to the internet since I got to Uganda and its been a little tough. Internet sort of makes me feel better, more connect with home, I guess I will have to learn to live without it. I type a really long e-mail to mom and got out some feelings that I’ve had, it felt good to vent and know that she cares. The internet experience here in Mukono wasn’t all that however. The power went out 2 times and the internet was pitifully slow. Even to load google took a long time, it was slower than dial-up for sure. I got to my e-mail eventually however and it was nice to get and send mail. I sipped on a Pepsi while I did so, it was great, out of glass.

After e-mail, we made our way to the taxi yard and caught a taxi to Lugazi, 1500 shillings, not bad. The ride was rickety, as always, and a bit scary with them driving crazy on the roads. We finally got there however and met up with Deo at the Patron Hotel to discuss what we were going to do. That’s when we made out way into some villages and introduced ourselves. In one village, we played games (Jackie and Ashley actually, I did the recording) with the kids, it was one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. For as little as these kids have, it was as amazing how happy they were. Seeing the muzungus for them was like going to a freak show, and they love it. They smile, wave, want to shake your hand and interact with you. They played games for about 20 minutes while we waited for Deo to get back from his political discussions with the village people. While we waited for Deo after the last discussion, Barbara took us to two clinics and the hospital in Lugazi, I wasn’t too impressed. I was even a bit scared about the whole situation and I’m not sure I want to work there. The conditions just weren’t suitable for me. The electricity wasn’t even on and this was a national hospital. I didn’t have a great feeling about it and wonder now whether or not I’ll be doing any medical help at all. We did however visit with a Doctor who works in Kampala and as far as we know the hospital there is quite nice. I had the idea that I could go to town with him when he goes and save a taxi ride, and then maybe even be his assistant. I’m going to discuss that more with the CDs and the doctor to see if that is a possibility.

We sat around a table outside of the Parton Hotel discussing many details about the housing situation and the concerns that Jen has for us in Lugazi. I got mosquito bites which makes me a little nervous. But, I’m on the doxy and I have to trust that will protect me. I will inevitably get bit while I’m here so I’m just going to have to relax about that. I had a Fanta orange soda while we talked. The discussion got pretty heated and the town council really showed that they wanted us there and that they are willing to do whatever it takes for us to be in Lugazi. Deo has even offered us a guard for free while we are there for 4 months and even 6 rooms in a boys quarters for free if we absolutely needed the room.

Now I’m sitting in the meeting area of our nice guest room aside from the house. Jackie and Ashley are over at the table talking about plans for tomorrow while we are by ourselves in Lugazi. There is so much to do, plan, and actuate before the volunteers get here. It’s a bit overwhelming to be honest. I hope we get through it quick and I can’t wait for the other volunteers to get here. It’s not very fun to watch 2 country directors sit back and do all of this planning and not really be apart of the whole thing. I think that is part of the reason that I have been having the feelings that I do about being nervous to be here and getting all those irrational thoughts. I will be doing my best to stay positive. Until tomorrow.

No comments: