My New Home for 3 Months

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day 28 - Really?

Ok, so, I’m pretty sure it’s a little late to be writing in my journal but I have been slacking lately and I’m not too happy about it. At the same time, I haven’t had much to write about, so maybe it’s OK. Alright, the previous statement isn’t entirely true. I can’t be in Lugazi, Uganda and NOT have something to write about; impossible. Sometimes I get the feeling that I forget to include the really important things in my journal entires. I guess it’s different when you out in the world on an adventure. Instead of writing mostly thoughts and feelings, I write what happened throughout the day, mostly because it’s a totally new experience but also because it seems like the right thing to do at the time. There isn’t much room for thoughts and feelings when you are new to a place because all you can possibly think about is the fact that you are in a new country trying to get your bearings. There are way to many occurrences that would just never happen back home and so there is an obligation to write about it. Now that I’ve been out of my comfort zone for 28 days, really gotten out of the Orem bubble to see the world, and have seen much and recorded much, I feel like it’s time to focus more on people, thoughts, and feelings.

I have a new friend named Amber. She is quite possibly one of the funniest people I have ever met. Why? Well, first of all... really? Ok, just kidding. Only she would understand the pun you just missed. That was an inside joke of ours; see, I’m already getting our of control. Amber seems to share almost my exact sense of humor, to the point that we both HALF to laugh at the other when they make a face, say something, or otherwise. What WE think and see as absolutely hilarious others don’t quite get. If I may say, our level of humor is on a higher level...er...just kidding. :-) We have a TON of fun together. The other night we were doing orthodontics on Heidi and I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. We laughed for SO long as we attempted and succeeded putting the rubber color pieces back on Heidi’s braces. That was more or less the beginning of our new found friendship, even though we had laughed a little bit before and even in training back home; she’s great. Heidi is also a new good friend, also very funny, super dramatic, and can’t stand to have her ears touched nor even spoken of. If her ears are touched she will absolutely throw a fit, start screaming, and at seek to punch whoever or whatever bugged her ear. She cracks me up each day. When Heidi, Amber, and myself all get together, it’s a recipe for laughing like you’ve never seen. Amber and I are leads on the Lorena Stoves which we have decided to rename the Simba Stove. We thought that “Simba” was much more appropriate that “Lorena” here in Uganda, don’t you think? We have a meeting tomorrow with a school to discuss with them a little further how the stove works, it’s benefits, and what the agreement will be on getting materials, etc. We will also be going to a women’s group and plan out a stove there; they have already decided and are set on having a stove.

I really am liking my stay here and I’m doing everything I can to keep busy and not be lazy. Living in such a beauiful country and being in a house that is “nice” sometimes makes you want to be lazy and relax a little more. I’m not sure if I already mentioned it here in my journal, but I have had a thought lately that really has me thinking and a bit uptight. If when I get home and ask myself, “What did I do to help the people of Africa?”, and the answer to myself is not very convincing, I think I would have a heart attack. So many people have contributed to my being here and the last thing I want to do is throw away people’s time, money, and support by not pushing though and making things happen. Luckily, Simba Stoves and Hospital work is up and running and we will be having much work starting next week; I’m beyond excited. I need to know that I have made a difference, then I can leave here knowing that I have and I’ll have peace of mind. Then I can tell Sister Child that her generous donation to this cause indeed changed the lives of many. That way I can tell my grandparents who also financially supported this project that I too, like them, was able to improve the lives of troubled teens and people in general. My goal is not only show the people here and myself that I have the ability and desire to make a difference, but to show those who have supported me back home, especially my family, that because of me hundreds will have fewer respiratory problems and conserve their money on firewood, that hundreds of kids are better informed about HIV and it’s serious danger, that the people of Uganda KNOW that there ARE muzungus that truly care about them and their welfare because they too are children of our Heavenly Father.

I thank my heavenly father every day that I have the opportunity to be here and serve these people. I haven’t had this kind of opportunity since my mission and it’s quite refreshing. The time has come to snooze, until tomorrow.

No comments: