My New Home for 3 Months

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 71 - Life and Death Part 2

We had such a great day today in Jinja. We left the house around 10 am and headed for the craft shops. Some of the group went to use the internet. I got so many crafts I had to help people carry my stuff. This is my last week in the Lugazi/Jinja area so it was my time to gather some keepsakes and I sure did, I’m happy with my purchases.

Today was quite the relaxing day, it couldn’t have been better really. After getting crafts for 2 hours or so, we made our way to the Jinja Nile Resort and went straight to the pool. We were charged 6000 each to swim, we were very happy to pay for such a nice pool area. We swam for a short time and then laid out a bit. Trent and I did some reading while Jackie, Ashley, Steph, and Amber laid out. It was so relaxing, except for the fact that I had “bungee jump” on the brain... not exactly a stimulus for positive thought. We stuck around the pool for about 2 hours, 30 minutes of which I used extremely expensive marginally quick internet. Those 30 minutes cost me a whopping 5000 shillings, or $3.00. It’s so funny how things here are so “expensive.” But when compared to back home, it’s really not TOO bad. That’s the most I’ve ever paid for internet while being here, and I’ll never have to do it again.

I had a Coke on the pool side, it was refreshing. Coke is a funny thing, it reminds me of my Dad, so every time I drink it I get a flashback of some moment with Dad hunting and having a Coke. Time came around to 5:30 p.m. and it was off to Nile High. I was absolutely freaking out on the walk there, and signing my name on the release form really did me in. I had been contemplating the whole thing the entire day, and really the whole week. I kept telling myself that I was going to be OK and that I was just going to do it. We finally made our way over to the bungee jumping area, stomach still jumping like crazy. I don’t know what my deal was! I guess I didn't think I was that big of a baby. We went to the reception area, gave them our money, and signed our lives away. At this point I was really dying. A couple people went and then if was mine and Amber’s turn. We got up there and I freaked out. Amber sat happily in the chair like no big deal. As we were talking about going tandem, the guy running the thing let us know that because of our combine wait he didn’t have the right cables. He had retired a cable that day and it happened to be the one for my wait. I was actually really relieved because I just couldn’t handle the whole situation. Amber then asked me if she should just go and I said, “Oh course!” So she got all strapped up and made her way to edge. I could tell she was very nervous, she was hardly responding to anything that I was saying to her. She made her jump and went screaming all the way down. When she had finished and she was on the raft I looked down from the platform and saw her rolling around laughing the raft... so Amber. While I was a little bummed that they didn’t have my cable, I was slightly relieved at the same time. The guy said he would have a new cable ready for me tomorrow so we will be back after church to go... I’m nervous.

No comments: