My New Home for 3 Months

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 65 - Celebration of the 4th

We had a great time today at the ARA in Kampala, which stands for American Recreation Association. That was where the US Embassy had the 4th of July party, but on Sunday. There was swimming before the actually party, I didn’t get in myself but a bunch of others from the group did. I decided that it felt nice to be dressed up nice for once and be clean and wasn’t worth getting all wet. Instead I sipped on Coke next to the pool with Jackie and Lindsi. Swimming was short lived which is another reason I’m glad I didn’t get in. After swimming there was volleyball followed by eating down in the park area. There were hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, potato salad (of sorts), and salad (kind of). We got a drink as well, and of course I had a Coke, my third of the day.

The time came for the celebration to come and we had some cool entertainment by some Uganda guys that did acrobatics. They were incredibly strong, ridiculously strong in fact. I got some cool pictures showing what they did. Everybody cheered and loved the show, including myself. Following the acrobatics there was chill time until the fireworks started which were totally unexpected but very cool. It reminded me that I would be missing the fireworks back home with the family at Millie’s house. Not long now and I’ll be back with my family!!

Never in my life have I been so patriotic. There’s no country like the United States of America. You will never know how blessed we are to be in such an amazing country until you have left it and live in a 3rd world country where every commodity you enjoy at home is nowhere to be found. In as much as there may be corruption in our government system and it isn’t perfect, it sure beats the rest of the world and this is what me must focus on. I’m so proud to be an American, and I really mean it this time! For so many years I’ve sung the song, now it actually means something. Never take for granted that we live where we do, we are most definitely a blessed people.

No comments: