My New Home for 3 Months

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 54 - Inconsistent bricks + Sickness = Major Frustration²

Although today was a very productive day and I feel good about it, it certainly wasn’t the most pleasurable. My sickness continues and this is the 6th day, only 4 more to go... theoretically. Today my ears were driving me crazy. I couldn’t even concentrate while we were building the stove at the Little Angels school. I asked Kelsi for another Clariton-D and it REALLY did the trick once again. My ears eventually popped for the most part and I was able to gain my equilibrium back. My sniffles cleared up and I wasn’t congested as usual, the pill works miracles.

We left the house a little late today, I wasn’t too excited about that. I really try to get people moving and out the door by 8:50 am so that we can be to our 9:00 am appointment. It didn’t happen today and I’m not sure when it will happen, but we can still try, right? My experience with building the foundation today at the women’s group place was far from awesome. For one, we had a total of 7 people crammed into an outdoor kitchen that was lined with bricks and mortar. Second off, the bricks were absolutely horrible. They were about as consistent as the number of times I’ve been to Hawaii... not so much. They were all different shapes and sizes which made laying the brick and keeping it level very difficult. I wasn’t feeling good at the time because of my head cold which made me a bit agitated at everything that was going on around me. I could tell the people around me were also getting irritated and I felt really bad. Because the bricks were hard to work with I found myself correcting people’s work a lot and I really don’t like to do that, I know they didn't appreciate it. This isn’t the funnest week for Simba Stoves thus far because of the fact that people have to learn and watch. What’s hard about learning is that you have to do a lot of sitting around until you can get in there on your own and get some action. I know volunteers are struggling with this and I’m really sorry about it. We want to be confident with the people that are in the group so that we can entrust them with Simba Stoves projects to complete on there own. Especially since Amber, myself, and Jeff all leave this weekend for Tanzania we must have a good system down before we leave. We know that once the group number cuts down people will find that they are much more involved.

We finished the stove a bit late but then Amber and I came home for a scrap of lunch and then hurried out the door for Mukono. We went back to the bakery to continue cleaning out the area in the back, today was EXTRA grose.

No comments: