My New Home for 3 Months

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Preparation....a lot of it.

I was finally accepted by HELP-International yesterday to join their team going to Uganda this summer for a a humanitarian project.  I had applied and had an interview 2 weeks earlier and was getting nervous that for some reason, unknown to me, I might not be going.  Luckily, they were just behind and I'm in, I'm going.  I can't believe it.

The preparation now begins.  There is so much to do and really not a whole lot of time to do it. From today, I leave in 36 days.  I was first introduced to this project through a friend of a friend.  Scott and Gini Berrett introduced me to Jackie Skinner who while we were sledding at Rock Canyon Park mentioned she was going to Africa in the summer.  She said they were recruiting and especially looking for pre-med males to go.  Apparently not too many guys are interested in going and the majority of their sign-ups are gals.  I was immediately intrigued with the idea of traveling around the world to give aid and service.  Now here I am, accepted and on my way to an incredible journey half way around the world.

But the coolness doesn't stop there.  Jackie is one of two country directors selected to oversee the project and lead the group over there.  The other country director is Ashley, whom I had the pleasure of meeting two nights ago at a Team Building Meeting for those accepted and going.  Jackie mentioned to me that she was a bit nervous that it was just her and the other girl going over a week before to figure out housing, meet prominent leaders, set things up, etc.  So I had a great idea.  I proceeded to ask Jackie if she'd like me to tag along and be their male figure and lend a hand in whatever it was they were going to do.  She agreed and thought it was a great idea, Ashley agreed as well.  Ashley leaves the 16th.  Jackie and I will fly out the 25th, but not to Uganda.  If we're going half way around the world, we might as well take advantage.

We're flying to Amsterdam to spend the weekend before we hop on another flight to go to Uganda.  It should be pretty incredible considering I've never left the US, and only left the continent to go to Hawaii.

My passport is pending, just waiting for it to get here in the mail one of these days.  It should be here anytime.  I have to go in and get my numerous vaccination, begin my malaria medication, gather supplies, make all sorts of arrangements... this is huge.

I'm in the process of fundraising, but I'm doing more than just asking for funds.  I don't like to ask for money, I just don't.  I want people to get something out of what they put in.  I'm with a company called Daily Bread.  They sell food storage, but it's not your average food storage.  For $1500 you can feed 4 adults (or 2 adults and 4 children), 2 meals/day, for 3 months.  It's pretty incredible.  What's MOST incredible about it however is how long it will last on your shelf. Take a wild guess... you'll never guess.  25+ years is how long they guarantee the food.  Unreal. Anyway, I'm going to be contacting people that I know as well as past clients and hopefully I can round up some business.  Not only will they be fulfilling what the Prophet has asked, but they'll be helping so many in Uganda.

If you or someone you know might be interested in this food storage system, let me know!  Feel free to give them my name and number.

Corbin Allred
#801.836.2100

Updates to follow...

1 comment:

Jim Gibbons said...

Hey Corb! Sounds great, what you are going to do in Uganda. Did I miss a link or is there more info on the Daily Bread products. Jim G.